CO-OP members to assume majority after historic inaugural election;
voting continues as Open Enrollment begins
WALLINGFORD, CT, November 3, 2014 – Individuals, small and large business representatives, non-profit leaders and physicians comprise the ballot of candidates HealthyCT members will choose from when voting for their new Board of Directors beginning Thursday, November 13. And because HealthyCT is a Consumer Operated and Oriented Plan, or CO-OP, its members will occupy the majority of voting seats on the Board of the non-profit health insurance company.
The 12 candidates on the ballot hail from across Connecticut. Over the summer, the health insurer began notifying members about the opportunity to serve on and/or vote for the Board. Candidates were able to nominate themselves as long as they were a HealthyCT member in good standing and at least age 18 or older. They also had to pass a background check; have not served on the Board of another insurance carrier since 2009; and not be serving as a representative of any state, federal or local government or quasi-governmental body. Thirteen individuals applied, in addition to several candidates already serving on the Board.
Online voting, managed by an outside election vendor, opens to HealthyCT members on Thursday through the home page at www.HealthyCT.org. Members also will receive voting instructions and reminders by mail and online during the election. Voting closes at the HealthyCT Annual Meeting on December 17. The new Board will begin its term in January 2015, with at least six of the 11 voting Board seats occupied by members.
“This is what truly sets HealthyCT apart from other insurance companies in Connecticut,” said David S. Katz, MD, President of HealthyCT’s Board of Directors. “The company answers to members in a very real way – not just in providing great health insurance every day, but also by giving them a place on the Board that will help determine the direction this company takes in the years to come.”
The opening of voting comes just days before the start of open enrollment for 2015. HealthyCT opened for business just a year ago, on the first day of open enrollment (Oct. 1, 2013). But the only CO-OP in Connecticut, and the first health insurance start-up in our state in more than 20 years, has cleared significant hurdles and celebrated many notable achievements in the past 12 months:
- Built a network of 15,000 providers who are available to all of its members
- Brought all but one of the state’s hospitals into its network
- Asked for, and received, an average 8.5% premium decrease from the Connecticut Insurance Department to provide more competitive premiums for consumers
- Added many new plan options to give purchasers more choice
- Created the Healthy Strides health and wellness program with a 24/7/365 wellness portal and nurse advice line, gym discounts, free delivery of local produce, and many community-based connections to help its members reach their health goals
- Received National Committee for Quality Assurance, or NCQA, Interim Accreditation for its dedication to improving the quality of health care for its members
- Earned a Connecticut Quality Innovation Award
- Launched a primary-care / patient-centered care management program to recognize high-quality, cost-effective, coordinated patient care
“The most important endorsement HealthyCT receives is word-of-mouth from our members. We’ve been working hard all year to offer new plans that meet their needs. And we’ve lowered our premiums to be truly competitive in the Connecticut marketplace,” said HealthyCT CEO Ken Lalime. “We look forward to the start of our second open enrollment period with a better sense of what to expect, and knowing that we will deliver.”
Founded by physicians, HealthyCT opened for business in 2013 with a mission to provide Connecticut residents with comprehensive health insurance and easy access to quality healthcare. It is committed to developing an innovative, progressive health plan that ensures the delivery of patient-centered care for individuals, families and businesses of all sizes. Unlike traditional for-profit insurance companies, any profits generated by HealthyCT are to be used to stabilize or reduce premiums to consumers and businesses, and/or to enhance plan benefits and services. HealthyCT can be found at www.HealthyCT.org; across social media @HealthyCTPlan and at 35 Thorpe Avenue in Wallingford. HealthyCT’s toll-free phone number is 1-855-HLTHYCT (458-4928).